Friday, April 4, 2008

Pico, again

" For a Global Soul like me- for anyone born to several cultures- the challenge in the modern world is to find a city that speaks to as many of our homes as possible. The process of interacting with a place is a little like the rite of a cocktail party, at which, upon being introduced to a stranger, we cast about to find a name, a place, a person we might have in common: a friend is someone who can bring as many of our selves to the table as possible. "

Pico Iyer
The Global Soul

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

C'havala, this is great. How do we let people know about your blog? I am not very educated about blogs!

Your quote from Pico Iyer reminded me of the first time I went to England. It was on the way to the States from years of Japan being home. I remember being confused at the comfort I felt there-it was a way station between Japan and America for me at 18. An in-between place that had a bit of both cultures...a moment of peace in the chaos of transition.